Saturday, June 11, 2011

The St Luis Cardinals of Orem, Ut

I have been coaching a youth baseball team in Orem for the past little while. I have enjoyed it tremendously. The team is filled with untalented and uncoordinated children who couldn't play the game of baseball if their life depended on it. Some of my favorite players include Richard, Hugo, and Ben. Richard is thirteen years of age and about the oddest kid you will ever meet. Last game he came to the baseball game without a hat. He said that he wasn't sure if he needed it. I don't know if there has ever been a more redicolous statement that I have heard in my life. When has a baseball player ever not worn a hat.
  At another point in time Richard told my cousin Andy that he was not going to make it to the game. After Andy asked why he wasn't going to go to the game he responded that he had a ball room dance competition to attend. Later Andy told me that it took all his heart might mind and strength to avoid laughing straight in Richards face. I thought that maybe next game Richard should wear a fedora rather than a normal baseball cap. 
 The best part about Richard is that he hits a baseball like he is chopping wood. When Richard swings he lifts the ball directly behind his head and then swings the bat straight down with all of his force. It is perhaps the most unorthodox swing ever to be concocted by the human mind. Indeed Richard is a cross between a mentally handicapped child, Fred Astaire, and Paul Bonyun.  
  Then there is Hugo. Hugo is a thirteen year old foster child from California. His brothers are both heavily involved with Northern California gangs and are at the present moment incarcerated. However, Hugo is like the nicest kid in the world. Although he is a bit strange. Infact he reminds me of a young me. During games some of Hugo's favorite pastimes are to sit in the grass in right field, pick daises, and occasionally tackle the nearest player. My favorite past times as a baseball player were the same thing. The fact of the matter is that Hugo isn't good and probably never will be but he is out there trying and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment